Walking tours of sites of local history
- Te Awamutu Museum – considered to be one of the best smaller community museums in the country with over 7000 objects in its collection.
Enjoy the nearby Pirongia Forest Park, Yarndley’s Bush, Lake Ngaroto and Mount Kakepuku – all within 20 minutes of Te Awamutu.
- Yarndleys Bush – one of the largest Kahikatea stands in the North Island. An easy 30 min boardwalk.
- Lake Ngaroto – 90 min flat walk around the lake. Ideal area for kayaking, yachting and rowing. Playground and BBQ area
- Mt Kakepuku – a steady climb – 449m high summit with great views. 3 hours return. A mountain bike track also traverses around the mountain on old farm tracks.
- Mt Maungatautari -(Ecological Island Reserve) Completely pest proof fenced and threatened species being reintroduced to the mountain i.e North Island brown kiwi, tuatara and takahe. 2 main access points – a lovely 2 hour walk.
- Mt Pirongia – Picnicking, camping, hunting and fishing along with numerous walks for trampers and bush walkers.